Saturday, November 22, 2008

the power of martial arts: confidence...

In the art of Jung SuWon, we are taught to challenge ourselves. By challenging ourselves we can achieve a greater sense of our own potential. As we overcome these challenges, there is a sense of accomplishment and belief in what we are capable of.

Great Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim teaches a simple set of principles of mental conduct.

Conquer your own weaknesses and fears rather than others.
Learn from your mistakes.
You have the ability to do, the capacity of act, and the capability to perform and produce.
Have a quality purpose and determination.
Have a positive mental attitude.

By focusing on our self and overcoming our weaknesses and fears we gain confidence. During sparring in class I am paired up from a wide range of opponents that vary greatly in experience and skills. In my rise through the ranks, I have gain confidence in physical and mental control. When facing my juniors, I understand their challenge and push them to allow them to recognize there ability. The sense of being able to block an oncoming attack or being able to initiate an attack without fear. When facing my seniors, I need to give them the freedom to push me and to recognize my fears and weaknesses. I need to maintain discipline of my thoughts and emotions.


This builds confidence in myself and it carries off the do jang. In work I am able to take on new projects that I might have shied away from because of the scope or difficulty. At home I am learning to play guitar, because I have the confidence that I have the ability and willingness to make mistakes. With confidence, life becomes an opportunity to explore and learn. It opens the door to try new things. Think of the alternative. What would you accomplish, or even attempt with a lack of confidence? Confidence is a tool in building a successful life. Like a muscle is must be worked to expand and grow.

Jung SuWon can be considered a gym to strengthen your confidence.

No comments: