Tuesday, November 11, 2008

the power of martial arts: facing fear...

Fear is a powerful force. It defines our boundaries and creates limits. In most cases this is a good thing. Fear allows us to recognize dangers and take actions to assure we will live another day to learn and grow. But recognizing fear and being controlled by fear are two different things. Recently during a demonstration Great Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim ask me to break cinder blocks using a martial art technique. The martial arts teach us that we can transform our bodies as weapons capable of breaking board and brick. Although the physical demonstration is impressive, the true challenge happens within your mind.

I remember the first time I broke a brick. In my mind I knew how hard that solid chunk of concrete was. I knew my hand was soft and flexible by comparison. If I fail to break the brick I was just as likely to break my hand. The only reason I would be able to break that break was to commit 100% of myself. Any hesitation would not apply the force needed to break the brick and potentially resulting a serious injury to my hand. My challenge was not breaking the brick, it was overcoming my fear.

In training in Jung SuWon, I developed confidence in my body, mind, and spirit. I knew I could get hurt, but I will not die. In many cases, the fear of getting hurt was worst than the actual injury (a bruise or a sore muscle). In training you learn you how your mind limits you real potential and as you discover more on how you body works the greater the freedom you have to "push the envelope". In Jung SuWon, the first principle in the Jung SuWon code of ethics is Body and Mind as One. As you develop your body, your mind gains strength. As you free your mind, so your body gains more freedom.

In facing those bricks, I felt fear. It did not matter whether it was my first time or my fiftieth time. But I did not let fear control me. I acknowledge it, making the moment real. Fear has a way of clearing your mind and focusing on the "now". My body responded in my commitment. There was no second chance, I had to focus all my energy here and now.

Whether it is breaking a stack of bricks or speaking in public event, we can face own fears and take control.

No comments: